Hydrotoys Forums  

Go Back   Hydrotoys Forums > Other > Racing, Camping, Events, or Locations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Administrator
ticking time bomb for a ski

Default Lake Pleasant to Crown King run.

Well,
We ended up doing the annual "Lake Pleasant to Crown King" run last NIGHT starting at 830pm. We arrived at 8pm and air'd down the Goodyears, disconnected the front anti-sway bar, and got all the drinks/food and maps, and flashlights within reach, as well as strapping down any loose stuff. It was around 100deg and clear. The moon was out, near full, and mars was visable as a red star to the horizon. It rose to the middle of the sky and was there all night.

I've never done a night run before, so didn't know what to expect. My co-pilot was a friend from work. He had never done one either. He is a native zoni, but had not even done this run before. There were approx 15 vehicles, various flavors of jeeps and a couple of Toys PUs.

It was dusty as he11 for the first 2-3 miles of Cow Creek Road. Then as we made the turn off onto Crown King road, it cleared up. You immediately had to navigate some easy cracks and washes. It then IMMEDIATELY turned fugly.

The road has undergone dramatic change from the winter rains. Sections were washed out, leaving nothing but boulders and waterfall steps to navigate.

Within the first hour we came to the first obstacle. It has a bypass if necessary. It is a steep climp, with a granite washout at the top, with a 3 foot hole behind the granite, before planing off onto the road. I took the most popular line up the hard road. I cleared the granite obstacle with no issues, but dropped a wheel off into the top hole, and had to retreat a few feet and re-adjust. I climbed right over. We spent a good hour playing there. A couple of open locker guys figured out a good path too.

The second obstacle didn't exist in January. The rain washed out a hill similar to the first one...but with no bypass, and no good lines. It had a hole across the entire top of the waterfall step, that you had to dip into, and then crawl out, with a sharp 90 left at the top. Surprisingly I crawled right up this one. One jeep was straped up after many tries.

The third obstacle, is called slick rock. It offers many lines, and no bypass. This is the best one on the trail to have fun with. I stayed way right on the easy section, then cut over to a double stairstep on the left. I drug many body parts, but was able to pull up the stairs okay. :smokin2: We spent a while here too.

A few hundred yards up the trail is where the "fun" began. There is an "innocent" looking obstacle to the right, and the bypass on the left. The bypass is barely passable by open diffs, with a sharp 90 at the top of the climb. Feeling all Rambo and Large from the last climb, I decided to tackle this one, using a spotter. The first set was a 3ft tall boulder set, followed by a triple set of 2 ft holes on top. Jim set the jeep over the middle right boulders and I crawled over and into the hole. I was rewarded with a thunderous BOOM as the rear bumper and gas tank slammed down hard on the boulders, as the front wheels climbed out of the hole and onto the next set of jagged Mica lined shale rocks. Jim placed me 3 foot to the left, which turning out of the hole felt wierd, and placed me over the dullest of the knife-edged rocks. He then had me pull over the next set of boulders similar to the first. I was again rewarded with a thunder-clap from the rear end of the jeep as it met mother earth again. :laugh: At this point it was a pretty steep climb out of the obstacle with a good surface, but with a bypass at the top.

We pulled forward about a quarter mile, and waited for the seven or so behind me... and waited, and waited. Finally after a few calls on the CB, they let us know about the carnage. They had de-beaded one tire. Another exhaust got ripped off, and another guys starter had overheated from crawling use on the rocks. It took them around an hour to sort out the mess, and then we moved on. I took a nap. The temps up here had dropped considerably. Some folks were wearing coats. It was around 70ish. I was in heavan.

After that, the trail goes pretty verticle and most obstacles were washouts, switchbacks, upper stream crossings, and trail rocks. Around 10 miles in, we lost another tire on the same rig that had debeaded earlier. A few miles later, we lost a sidewall on one of the lead jeeps and did another pit stop.

Toward the top of the run, we were climbing small waterfall, after waterfalls with switchbacks. The moon was so bright, you could turn off your headlights...if you dare. Then the trail just became annoying. The 1-2 foot boulders were strewn about everywhere, and it was like "dodging bowling balls" as one driver put it. When you screwed up, you immediately got rewarded with a hit to your pumpkin or some other low hanging metal part. Not fun!

At the very top, we came across another patch of slick rock on the trail. It was hard to tell, but it looked liked polished granite or some other smooth rock. It had a rolling effect to it. You would find boulders everywhere that had fallen out of the overhead cliffs. Some shale was mixed in on areas that made for tricky placement. The trail was over looked by white pines and other tall trees. It was in the low sixties outside, and was really nice with the moon shining through the trees on the moonscape looking road. It was actually quite beautiful at night.

Finally after a few hundred yards of fairly easy trail obstacles, you end at senetors highway. We chatted a few minutes, but it was near 430am at this point. We headed down the washboarded 15 miles of dirt/twisty road, aired up at the end, and headed home. By the time I dropped off Jim, and got home it was past 7am. I'd just done a 27 hour day, and don't remember much after.

I'd probably not do too many more night runs... But if you've never done one, then I'd suggest you go with a large group and give it a try.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Bullshit ModeratorForum Potato

That's a great story!! I've never tried or heard of a night run, I'll have to look around for one. Sounded like a blast to me.....
Old 08-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Bullshit Moderatorticking time bomb for a ski

Al, he is talking about a jeep not a msx.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:39 PM

[img][/img]

Man I just can't get those smiley's to work here. LOL
Old 08-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Administrator

I don't know what that is, but I bet it's not nice!
Old 08-21-2005, 07:42 PM

He is back to posting stuff that doesnt work just like most of his skis! OUCH! thats below the belt!
Old 08-21-2005, 07:54 PM

Especially when it's not my fault. Now if I was the one working on those damn things I'd of already collected your money and had you looking for more speed with your Yami.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:55 PM

doughtful
Old 08-21-2005, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph2ocraft
Especially when it's not my fault. Now if I was the one working on those damn things I'd of already collected your money and had you looking for more speed with your Yami.
He's talking about your damn dead smileys. Why don't you just upload them broke dick thinkgs to a server and post them from there.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Administrator

More pics of the area. This was a day trip, in January, during the wet season. It was rather drizzling at the bottom near lake Pleasant, and was snowing when we got up to Crown King.
http://www.hydrotoys.com/rides/013005/