Hydrotoys Forums  

Go Back   Hydrotoys Forums > Watercraft > Pictures, Videos, and Links.
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Administrator
ticking time bomb for a ski

Default Nikon D200 and Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18 - 200 mm f/3.5-5.6G DX ED VR

In short:
I bought a new camera today. I don't get it for a few days/weeks/month... Nikon is very fucking wierd that way.

The Camera body is very similar to my D70, but with easier main controls and a bigger rear screen. The reason I justified it (to myself) is the 5 frames per second, versus the 3fps on my D70. After this purchase, I have more money wrapped up in my two cameras and lenses than the slow lake boat.

The lens is the top dog for the nikon for this body, and will "almost" replace both my long lens, and the lens I use for everyday shots. It is super fast, super sharp, focuses down to 8". and is way more important than the camera body. Here is a great writeup on it, as well as some other 100 or so subjects.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm#index

I've also decided to get a XLT1200 once I sell the SLB, or trade it for a XLT in the area if possible. I want to start camping and fishing again, and the gpr is just too small to carry all my camp gear.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Camera and Lens package came in today. I must say, that now I feel like I was shooting with a "toy" camera with my D-70 and 70-300mm zoom. I don't really know how to explain it. It's like the difference between buying a Corvette, versus buying a Porshe.

The VR lens is simply amazing. You can turn the stabilization on/off without even looking up, once you memorize the button location. With the stabilization, I can't imagine needing a tripod, even at full focal length. The zoom is crisp. The close-in shots are excellent. Focus times are 2-3times faster than my D70. I'm gonna have to try some on my D70 and see if it gets any crisper. I've always felt my D70 and factory lens was a little soft. Unfortunately, my 70-300mm was too aggressive for close up shots.

The D200 camera body is, in a word... Impressive. The menus are quick, clean, and well thought out. The back screen is fucking huge, and crystal clear. The "3 Kings" replace the rotary dial, and thank GOD. Normally I wouldn't change from a hirez shot to a lowrez. I'd just shoot everything hirez and move along. This allows one touch control. White balance is my other favorite, especially with indoor/outdoor shots. My use of the ISO is limited. The camera always knows more than I do. This body is HEAVY. WAY heavier than my D70. The body is magnesium, with a rubber grip, and water seals on all the openings. It ain't made to get wet, but it is made to take a splash or two.

As I write this, I'm charging the battery, so I havent even got into the part where I don't like it. Give me a minute. I'll find something to bitch about.

So who's coming to the race and not racing? I need a photographer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03285.jpg (129.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03286.jpg (151.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03288.jpg (147.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03291.jpg (181.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03292.jpg (159.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Bullshit ModeratorForum Potato

OH my LORDY!!!!!
If I were any kind of a photographer I'd take picts but I don't think I could do your camera justice.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Hell,
I'll never use it, as Nikon intended. But I tell ya, when it comes to pictures, money does buy happiness. Battery finished charging. The freakin contrast between this and my D70 is pretty noticeable.

I'll post some side/side picks up later.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Pepsi Can at a little over arms length away, and it's not really facing me. I can not read the ingredients from here. It's too small, and there are no lights on in the room. Just a 4:30pm light coming through the filtered screens on the livingroom window...it's dark in here.

Oh yeah, I can now change the prefix to whatever I want. I used my initials.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MKC_0004.jpg (100.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Administrator

First "gotcha"
I have to hit the little flash button on the side of the camera before shooting. The freakin retarded camera won't do it! WTF!?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Bullshit ModeratorForum Potato

That has to be a change up in the "settings". Damn, you might have to break down and read the directions.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:31 AM
Administrator

Just got an email from some lady doing work at Lake Perris. They were looking for donated photos for their upcoming book. I'm more than happy to help!
They want to use these 2 pics.
http://www.hydrotoys.com/DSC00966.jpg
http://www.hydrotoys.com/DSC00977.jpg

These were taken with a cheesy little point and shoot. I'd imagine their interest is due to the high-contrast of these pics...which will work well in black and white form.

Permission Form
for Reproducing Photographs,
Illustrations & other works
Perris Valley Historical and Museum Association is the author of a book which is scheduled for publication in 2007 by The Donning Company Publishers. This book will be a high-quality hard back volume of black-and-white, color and sepia-toned pictures with descriptive captions and complementary historical text. It will be part of the Donning “Portraits of America” series.

We request your permission to reproduce in this volume photographs/
illustrations from your collection as indicated below. These photographs/illustrations may also be used in promotional materials, such as brochures, advertisements, and poster for the book. Your contribution will be acknowledged in the volume. Please sign your name at the bottom of the page to indicate your consent to the reproduction of the photographs/illustrations.

Your assistance and cooperation are greatly appreciated.

PVH&MA
Author
Old 01-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Administrator

I had ordered this last year, and it just came in. Basically it is very close up, or very wide shots.

http://www.adorama.com/TN1224NKAF.html
Old 09-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Had to take my D200 in for service. All my pics were coming out real dark, and I couldn't find any settings that were wrong. Hopefully they are smarter than I am and can figure it out.

I also have this weird thing where the active matrix focusing was all happening on ONLY the right quad of the screen. That will probably require camera-surgery!

Got to take my stabilization 200mm lens in too! It works find under non-stabilization, but is just a "taste" off focus when turned on.

Guess I should get my D70 into the shop. It's got an extended warranty and hasn't worked in months. I drowned it with a gallon of water! Also got a 70-300 lens that was full of water. I blame Joe, for just general purpose reasons.

I am officially "camera-less" right now. Well, there is the cell phone!